Friday, September 17, 2010

Confessions of the time poor

Ok, so truthfully, how long do you take before getting your baby/toddler from their crib?
Do you jump up from your comfy seat (or immediately drop the broom) as soon as you hear them stir? Do you wait for the rambling or gurgling? Or do you wait until they start shaking the crib and screaming?

Me, I've always taken the really slow approach. I figure when they're good and ready , they'll let me know. The same way they let me know about everything - by screaming (or talking REALLY LOUDLY).

At first, I thought that maybe I was being mean, that I should rush into their room and cuddle and lavish them with attention as soon as they were up. And then, well, my son started waking up at 5am. I didn't really like 5am. So instead of jumping out of bed, I would lie in my warm bed, doze in out of sleep, listening to him ramble.

My daugher is pretty much the same. And with only 1 nap a day, there's just not enough time to get everything done (and blog ;-). Plus, I rationalize my slow reaction time to allowing my children to practice talking. When they're done practicing they let me know. Just like Little Miss is now!

So next time, don't jump, finish your cup of tea or sweeping or your own nap. The kids will be fine ;-)

2 comments: